The CDC says that roughly 200 million Americans are exposed to mold every year. While most individuals don’t experience health problems, long-term exposure can cause asthma, respiratory issues, skin rashes, gastrointestinal disorders, and headaches. These symptoms can be especially severe in children, pregnant women, and those who already suffer from other conditions such as allergies or asthma.
So if you see some strange smells coming from your home, or if you notice some discoloration on your walls, floors, ceilings, or furniture, you should test your air immediately. You can get started by contacting a professional mold removal company like B. O. R. Restoration in Denver. Mike Martinez and his team will come into your home and inspect the area thoroughly to ensure that no mold spores remain if you are in Denver.
How can you determine if there’s mold growing in your home?
Mold growth in Denver homes is very common. The problem is that you don’t always realize it until it becomes a health hazard.
- Look at the surface of the problem area. Mold spores are usually microscopic. If they’re visible, then you’ve got a problem.
- Is the air around the problem area moist? Moisture is what molds need to thrive. Dry air kills them.
- Do smells like rotten food emanate from the area? This should give you a clue that there’s something wrong.
- Does the surface appear slimy? Slime is a sign of bacterial activity. Bacteria loves moisture, too.
- Are the symptoms worse in certain areas than others? A symptom that affects only one room may not indicate a larger problem.
- What else could be causing the problem? If no obvious cause can be identified, call in a professional.
If you notice these signs, it’s time to call a professional. Sometimes the signs aren’t visible and homeowners often ignore them because they’re unsure whether they should bother calling professionals.
What to do about mold issues in your home?
If your house has moisture problems, then this could cause mold to grow. Mold is a fungus; fungi live in damp environments. They reproduce by producing spores that float around until they find a place to settle down and start working their magic. When mold starts to form, it usually looks like black dots on surfaces. These dark spots are the fungal spores.
The first thing you should do is check the air quality in your house. You may want to consider getting some type of air purifier to help keep the area clean. This will remove many of the contaminants in the air. After this, make sure to change out all the filters and vents. Change them every month and inspect them regularly. Once you have done these steps, you can start cleaning. Start by removing anything that may be contaminated. Wash everything you can get off of the surface. Use disinfectants to kill any bacteria that might still be alive. Make sure to use a product that specifically says it kills mold.
There are multiple ways to identify if your home is infested with mold. Some homeowners try to take care of the issue themselves. Unfortunately, they usually fail. That’s why it’s important to hire a professional instead. If you are in Denver, count on B. O. R. Restoration services to get rid of mold.